What’s Going on in the Genomics & Microbiology Research Lab?
- What does your ear wax say about you? Citizen science opportunity – learn more here!
- Do microbes help with wound healing? Citizen science project with canine participants to evaluate microbes before and after surgery.
- Do your microbes control who you like? Scent is a powerful communicator and your body odor is mostly coming from your microbes.
- Can microbes affect our behavior? Studies in Rhesus Macaques look at microbes, genetics, and behavior.
- What’s in the cheese? Identify microbes involved in converting milk to different types of cheese. How might they affect the flavors and smells and how can they benefit us?
- What’s your favorite cheese? Citizen science opportunity – learn more here!
Fermented Food Microbes
- Harnessing the power of microorganisms! Humans have harnessed the power of microbes to ferment foods for thousands of years. We are exploring the science of the fermentation process.
- All of our workshops are complete.
- Who’s your shaddy? Parentage-based tagging of fish species helps fisheries evaluate their breeding programs.
- What’s in the guts? Sequencing DNA from fish guts to see what the fish have been eating can help identify what’s eating endangered species.